What To Do When Life Gives You Lemons...

7.26.2017

...don't just make lemonade, MAKE A LEMON DRIZZLE. One of my favourite things to bake is a classic lemon drizzle cake and summer is the perfect time to do that! I was baking some brownies last week (I'll be uploading my fave recipe soon) and I spontaneously decided to bake a lemon drizzle cake for my grandparents because I thought they'd appreciate it. Whenever I bake, I either adjust recipes I have used before OR I'll almost always use Mary Berry's because she is the ultimate baking Queen, let's be honest. This recipe is super quick and easy to make plus it is SO delicious (if I do say myself). So, carry on reading if you're interested in finding out how I made it!





You will need:

  • 225g (8 oz) butter, softened
  • 225g (8 oz) caster sugar
  • 275g (10 oz) self-raising flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 4 eggs
  • 4 tablespoons milk
  • finely grated rind of 2 lemons


Icing

  • 175g (6 oz) granulated sugar
  • juice of 2 lemons


Method:

  1. Begin by greasing the tin and then line with the paper, pushing it neatly into the corners of the tin. Pre-heat the oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas 3.
  2. Measure all the ingredients for the traybake into a large bowl and mix well until everything is blended. Turn the mixture into the prepared tin, scraping the sides of the bowl with a plastic spatula to remove all of the mixture. Make sure to level the mixture so it doesn't come out of the oven super uneven. 
  3. Bake in the middle of the pre-heated oven for about 35-40 minutes or until the tray bake springs back when pressed lightly with a finger in the centre and is beginning to shrink away from the sides of the tin.
  4. Allow the tray bake to cool in the tin for a few minutes and then carefully remove it from the tin by lifting the baking paper.
  5.  To make the topping, mix the lemon juice and granulated sugar in a small bowl to give a runny consistency. Spoon this mixture evenly over the tray bake whilst it is still just warm. And there you have it!

There you have it! It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it and it's honestly one of my favourite things ever, even though I'm not that keen on citrus flavours. 

I hope you enjoyed this one and please feel free to give me some recommendations for new blog posts! I'd love to try something new.

Lots of Love,
Meg X


Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Raindrops On Roses. Design by FCD.