Why Keeping A Journal Is No Longer A Chore

2.08.2018

I'm almost positive that most people at some point in their life have tried to keep a diary or journal and failed. We get to the New Year and we vow to keep a diary and write in it every single day for the next 365 days knowing full well that we'll forget all about it by March. Yup, I've been there. But late last year I stumbled across a journal that caught my eye and so I asked for it as a Christmas present and it wasn't long before I became obsessed with it. I genuinely look forward to using it and that's because it's not your typical "dear diary" kind of journal which if I'm completely honest I find can be way too much effort to write in most days, especially when nothing much happens. So, I wanted to show you the journal which has completely transformed the way that I feel about them and why I'm now that person who secretly loves keeping one. 




I don't think you can purchase this anymore but I discovered it on the Next website because they actually have some pretty decent things on there around the festive period. Firstly, it's so aesthetically pleasing and I'm in love with the pastel theme. On the first few pages there is room for you to create a bucket list and I've actually chosen to write my New Year's Resolutions there so that I don't forget what I'd like to achieve this year. Throughout the journal there are some beautiful and motivating quotes which adds a lovely touch to it and they can really make a difference depending on what kind of a day you're having. 




But what caught my attention and the main reason why I really wanted to give this journal a chance is the layout of it. Instead of staring at blank pages which is what really puts me off keeping a diary, you answer questions (the same questions) every single day. So instead of boring yourself to death with the events from that day, I just find it SO much easier to answer the questions in order to keep track. The questions as you can see from the photo below include things like writing how you felt and what the weather was like using emojis which is always fun, and writing 3 things that went well, things that didn't go so well and things you want to improve on tomorrow. And honestly, I find this so enjoyable and therapeutic to use. Even if there are days where nothing exciting happens, I always try to write as much as I can because when I look back I can remember the days that most of us forget. I also use this journal to keep track of my mental health which I've found really useful even if it is difficult to write about my bad days at the time, I know I'll thank myself when I eventually look back and reflect on the year as I'll have a better understanding of what might be making my mental health better or worse etc. 




Journals are definitely not for everyone, but if you're anything like me then you love reflecting on what went well, what didn't go so great and then focusing on how you can make tomorrow a better day. We're only in February and yes there is every chance that I could get bored of this in a few months but I'm actually thoroughly enjoying it and I can't wait to look back on everything that happened, both the good and the bad, at the end of the year. I know in 5 years time I'll appreciate things like this so much, even if it can seem meaningless at the time. You only have to follow my social media accounts to know that I love documenting anything remotely interesting that happens in my life and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. But I have fallen in love with keeping a journal and I never thought I'd say that so this really is something worth writing a blog post about.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading this one and I'll be back again on Saturday with another post.

Lots of Love,
Meg X

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Raindrops On Roses. Design by FCD.